People with bipolar disorders have extreme and intense emotional states that occur at distinct times, called mood episodes. These mood episodes are categorized as manic, hypomanic or depressive. People with bipolar disorders generally have periods of normal mood as well. Bipolar disorders can be treated, and people with these illnesses can lead full and productive lives.
- Have wild mood swings categorized as either manic or depressive
- Engaging in risky behavior
- Keeps going and going, unable to stop
- Feeling great despair
- Loss of appetite and energy
- Lack of interest in doing anything
- Suicidal thoughts